Spring cleaning is all about getting a fresh start so why not clean out your closet and eliminate those wardrobe pieces that you just don’t wear anymore? Plus, clothing is essentially 100% recyclable. While Americans are recycling 3.8 billion pounds of clothing a year, this only accounts for about 15% of clothes that are disposed and the remaining 85% ends up in a landfill.


The Decision Process

You know that article of clothing that you’ve “been holding onto” for years but haven’t worn? Well, now’s the time to toss it. If you want to make room for new finds you must first part with the old. If you haven’t worn it in months, then you probably won’t wear it again. 

The Recycling Process

1. Donating: 

This is the easiest way to get rid of clothing. First think about any friends or family members that might want to go through your closet. There’s always a friend of a friends that’s looking for clothes, especially when it comes to expecting mothers on the search for baby clothes. 

Then of course there is the option of dropping your piles of clothes off at a local Goodwill or Salvation Army. Your donations will be sold at low cost, making it affordable for low-income families. Even if your clothes are too worn or damaged to be sold, these donation sites will send away your stuff to get recycled. 

2. Selling

If you’re looking to make some extra money to replace your wardrobe, then consider selling your clothes. You can post your collection up on Ebay or place an ad on Craigslist.

There are also sites that make selling your clothes even simpler. Threadflip allows you to transform your closet into your own “personal boutique.” The site makes it easy to sell your old clothes and buy news ones. 

3. Swapping

If you’re not expecting to make much money from selling your clothes, you can always consider swapping. Some secondhand shops like Buffalo Exchange and Plato’s Closet will offer you store credit or cash for clothes. 

You might even be able to search for local swapping events where you can drop off your clothes and take home finds from other people’s closets. There’s also Facebook swapping groups where you can post photos of your clothes and take a look at what other people are trying to get rid of. If you’re looking for some unique finds this is a great option.

4. Crafting

With social sharing sites like Pinterest, there’s no reason that you can’t turn an old t-shirt into a tote bag or use extra fabric to make a headband or other accessory. Seriously, it’s pretty much the sky’s the limit when it comes to the potential you have with a bag of old clothes. You might even be able to get a few unique gift ideas. 

Looking for more information from our Spring Cleaning Disposal series? Find out how to dispose of Electronics, Paints & Medications

Hear What Our Satisfied Customers Have to Say


Dumpster Rental Blog/News

Roll-Off Dumpster Direct Now Serves Indiana

Roll-Off Dumpster Direct is excited to announce our expansion into Indiana, offering our top-notch dumpster rental services to customers statewide. From Indianapolis to Fort Wayne and everywhere in between, Indiana residents can now rely on us for affordable and efficient dumpster solutions. Bringing Reliable Dumpster Rentals to the Hoosier State Our diverse range of dumpster […]

Continue reading →

Where Does the Trash Go in Atlanta?

When you toss something in the garbage, you may never stop to wonder where it goes next. Or maybe, you join your kids’ excitement when the garbage truck comes – but never question where it goes after your neighborhood.  Atlanta produces 17.4 million tons of trash every year! That’s nearly the total weight of an […]

Continue reading →

Where Does the Trash Go in Washington, D.C.?

You may not stop to think about your trash after it makes its way to the trash can, but what exactly happens next?  The District of Washington reported that in 2018 the Department of Public Works (DPW) collected 1,139,846 tons of waste and recyclables – including tires, hazardous waste, yard trimmings, biofuel, and waste-to-energy. Waste […]

Continue reading →