Hurricane Irma is a powerful storm that is projected to make landfall in Florida by Saturday evening. We urge all of you in the area to take the proper precautions for staying safe.
Stay Safe During the Storm
Follow Governor Scott’s advice, if you are in an evacuation area, get out now. If you’re not sure if your location is flood prone, check this map.
If you evacuate your home, be sure to store important documents in a waterproof container and move it to high ground if possible. Reinforce your windows and garage doors, set a rendezvous point with family members, and create an emergency preparedness kit.
What to Include in Your Hurricane Preparedness Kit
- A Week’s Worth of Bottled Water and Food for Family and Pets. Canned and dried goods are your best bet. Don’t forget your manual can-opener.
- Flashlight, Batteries, and Radio. These will help you stay safe and monitor the storm in the event that you lose electricity.
- First-Aid Kit. Stock basic supplies for treating injuries and medications for all family members who take them.
- Gasoline. Fill your cars and generators. Fuel prices are likely to skyrocket after the storm.
- Disposable Items and Board Games. While not a matter of life or death, extra trash bags, paper plates, plastic utensils, toilet paper, and basic activities will help you to retain a sense of humanity if things get rough during the storm.
For more tips on hurricane safety, check out this article.
Our Thoughts are With Our Florida Customers
According to one of our Florida vendors, an 185 mph wind failed to move his dumpster! Although dumpsters may be very resilient, the wind is still likely to blow around any debris left inside. Our thoughts are with all of our Florida customers and vendors through the storm. Stay safe!