A little rain never hurt anyone. We’ve heard that said, right? Well, what about if you plan on renting a dumpster? While a light sprinkling may not affect your clean-out or purge plans, excess rain can cause many problems for those considering dumpster rental.
What Could Go Wrong?
There are a few things to consider when you see the forecast of rain overlap with your scheduled dumpster rental. While it all depends on the amount of rain and the winds that come with it, we encourage you to consider these issues and plan on rescheduling:
- Weight. Water weighs a lot, and if your area is expecting more than just a drizzle, you may need to consider how much weight will be added to the dumpster from the water. Depending on the size of the container you rented, you will have weight restrictions. This means you will either have to pay for a bigger container or you won’t be able to utilize the entire dumpster due to weight.
- Stuck. Water plus dirt equals mud, and the muddier your property, the harder it will be to get your dumpster both placed and removed. If you have paid for a short period of time and need the dumpster taken away, rain and mud may make this difficult. You may end up paying for extra time so that the dumpster can be taken away when the ground is dry.
- Disease & Pests. Standing water is a breeding ground for bacteria and other harmful contaminants. If rainwater is left to sit in a dumpster rental, the contents of the dumpster may contribute to the spread of certain diseases (especially in humid areas of the country where mosquitos may lay eggs).
- Damaging Winds. Rain usually doesn’t come alone – it usually tags along with wind and/or hail. Both can be very damaging to the dumpster itself and to the surrounding property. If there are contents already inside the dumpster, debris could blow out and hit cars or homes nearby and hail can damage the dumpster. Ultimately, if you are the dumpster renter, you could be held liable for this damage.
Preparing for Rain During Your Dumpster Rental Period
Fortunately, there are ways to prepare for rain and avoid the issues mentioned above. As a responsible dumpster renter, here are a few things to do before you hit ‘schedule’ on our order form.
- Check the Forecast. Roll-Off Dumpster Direct proudly offers one of the longest dumpster rental period in the industry, but be sure to check the 10-day forecast before you schedule. If you see the possibility of rain during that period, depending on your needs, it may be best to push off your dumpster delivery.
- Prepare the Area. Whether you are a homeowner, a business, a school, or a contractor, preparing the area for a dumpster delivery can help eliminate the risks of rain. Placing pallets, plywood, or wood planks down for the dumpster can help you avoid the risk of getting the dumpster stuck upon delivery or removal. Additionally, clearing a pathway for the dumpster to be delivered and removed will help the Roll-Off Dumpster Direct team, and you, avoid extra frustrations if it does rain.
- Cover the Dumpster. Talk to our team at Roll-Off Dumpster Direct about the best tarps to use to cover the dumpster. It is a good practice, even without rain, to cover the dumpster and tie down the tarp when you are not actively using it. This will protect it from rain, hail, winds, and illegal dumping.
- Locate Areas That May Be Covered. While it is not always possible, having a covered carport or temporary coverage for the dumpster would greatly help protect it from damage and rain issues.
- Utilize Trash Bags and Wrap. When disposing of smaller items or food, utilizing smaller trash bags can help keep the bugs and bacteria away from the dumpster, especially if it happens to rain. You can also plan to wrap furniture in thick plastic wrap to decrease the amount of water that soaks in, which causes more weight issues. This will also keep bugs and critters away from seeking refuge inside these items.
Trust the Roll-Off Dumpster Direct Team Rain or Shine
Whether it rains, pours, or is total sunshine – you can trust the team at Roll-Off Dumpster Direct to guide you throughout the dumpster rental process. We can help answer any questions you have about weather and preparedness and help you decide what size of dumpster is best for your job. Get a quote today!