With springtime finally in full swing, it’s time to start cleaning up your yard. Now is the perfect time to get your garden in tip-top shape before summer is in full swing. Naturescapes has some easy tips for making yard clean up and garden prep a breeze.
1. Make a plan. Before you start making too much of a mess, make a plan. Decide what you want to plant and map out a strategy. Many people make the mistake of impulsively planting without considering the best yard spots for growing.
2. Clean up debris. It’s extremely important not to skip this. Sure you don’t want to deal with those leaves and branches that somehow have not decomposed into the Earth, but spending a little time on clean-up goes a long way. For bigger projects, consider renting a dumpster to make disposal simpler.
3. Cut back perennials and ornamental grasses. Take care of any overgrown plants so you’ll be able to manage them throughout the spring. Additionally, trim any bushes and tree branches that suffered abuse in the winter.
4. Fertilize and add a pre-emergent. We recommend using a 100% organic fertilizer for your yard. We often use dehydrated poultry manure. Because your lawn is hungry in the spring, a fertilizer will strengthen the roots and get your growing season off to a great start. Once you have planted what you want, consider adding a pre-emergent to provide weeds and crab grass from making an unwelcome appearance.
5. Edge beds. Unless you want a woodland garden appeal, it’s important to create a finely edged bed that separates the lawn from the garden. This makes it easier for you to keep up with routine maintenance, like mowing the lawn and works as a barrier to prevent lawn grasses from emerging in the garden.
6. Mulch. Once you finish the basic tasks, add a mulch to your landscape. Mulch with a double or triple shredded hardwood bark mulch or any organic mulch. Do not use dyed mulch because these can toxify your garden and kill beneficial soil, insects, and bacteria.
Start getting your backyard cleaned up today, and consider working with a landscape architect– to create unique designs for your yard. Take care of your yard and host a summer party on your woodland patio or relax in your garden oasis.
About the Authors
Naturescapes is a Paoli natural landscaping business that specializes in environmental designs and has served the Main Line for over 35 years